ABOUT US

The origin of AQ Chowdhury (AQC) is rooted in Laboratory Instruments.

It began in Dhaka in 1948 when Mr. AQ Chowdhury, a well known journalist and former editor of the Assam Herald joined Ali Bhoy Ltd. as its Managing Director for the marketing of Radios and Cameras etc. Thereafter, Prof. Naresh Mitra of the Department of Physics, Dhaka University inspired AQ Chowdhury to establish the present company.

In 1950 AQ Chowdhury., was formally registered as a company dealing in scientific products. By 1954 it was already known throughout Pakistan as the leading supplier of scientific instruments and chemicals, trading with international companies like Zeiss, Reichert, Leybold, E. Merck. Since then AQC made a major contribution to the growth of Science and Technology in this country.

AQC continued to expand its laboratory operations to industries as well. By 1960, it expanded to include surveying instruments in its product range. In 1970 it entered the field of nuclear instrumentation. Distributors in the meantime were appointed throughout Pakistan. Agreements to manufacture microscopes in collaboration with Reichert, Austria and surveying instruments with Kern Switzerland were reached. A demonstration laboratory showing the performance of equipment marketed by AQC was established and the company liberally participated in science conferences and shows to promote the use of Science & Technology.

Today, the company specializes not only in instruments but also in turnkey packages to set up Scientific Research Centers, Quality Control, Environmental and Science Teaching Laboratories. These packages include from the supply of equipment, to installation, maintenance and training of the work force.

Recognizing the ever increasing need for new products and technologies, AQC initiated a formal Research and Development Department in 1989. This group eventually established "Plasma Plus+", South Asia's first Application Laboratory in Science & Technology.

HISTORY AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
1948 AQ Chowdhury arrives from India and joins Ali Bhoy Ltd, as its Managing Director.
1949 AQ Chowdhury forms his own company Chowdhury Baba & Co.
1950 Chowdhury Baba takes the registered name of AQ Chowdhury. Starts trading with leading companies of Western Europe.
1954 Signs agreement with Leybold for Physics teaching equipment and Reichert (now Leica) for Microscopes and Microtomes. AQ Chowdhury takes training in Germany, Austria and UK in related fields.
1956 Company expanded to take care of more specialized areas like Analytical and Surveying Instruments and develops its own "Demonstration Laboratory".
1958 Donates to Diabetic Association (now BIRDEM) instruments to set up its first Pathological Laboratory.
1962 Signs agreement with Reichert for the manufacture of microscopes with exporting rights up to South East Asia.
1965 Company suffers a major set back due to 1965 war. Recognizes Japan as a growing force in Science and Technology and opens trade communication with Japan.
1969 Enters the field of Nuclear Instrumentation with a major supply to Pakistan Atomic Energy Center.
1971 The Company suffers once again and this time in men and material due to war of liberation. East Pakistan becomes Bangladesh.
1972 Restructured to meet the challenges of a new nation.
1973 Recognizes the birth of new technology and reorganizes itself.
1976 Installs country's (Bangladesh) first Automated Clinical Analyzer.
1980 Installs country's first Microprocessor Development System.
1985 Installs country's first 90 MHz FT NMR Spectrometer. Opens office in New York.
1986 Installs country's first high Resolution GC-Mass Spectrometer.
1987 Moves New York office to Houston, Texas.
1989 Installs country's first CT Scanner.
1990 Installs X Ray Diffractometer
1991 Installs Scanning Electron Microscope.
1992 Develops "Plasma Plus", South Asia's first Application Laboratory in Science & Technology.
1993 Transition of the company from proprietary to a private limited company. Installs country's first FT-IR Spectrophotometer.
1995 Installs country's first Biplane Coronary Angiograph System with Digital Subtraction Angiography.
1996 Installs country's first PC based GC and HPLC workstation.
1999 Application Laboratory recognized by Bangladesh Goverment as a Centre for Technology Transfer.
2000 Installation of country's first Mobile Air Monitoring System. Installation of Country's first Total Organic Carbon Analyzer.
2002 The Company moves to a new location at Baridhara and the Laboratory to Uttara.
2003 Extends Engineering & Application Services to Myanmar. Installation of 50th unit of GC.
2004 Extends Engineering & Application Services to Nepal. Installation of FT-NIR Spectrophotometer System. Installation of 100th unit of HPLC.
2005 Installation of 50th unit of AAS. Installation of 150th unit of UV-VIS Spectrophotometer.
2006 Installation of 150th unit of HPLC. Installation of 50th unit of FT-IR Spectrophotometer.
2007 Installation of Scanning Electron Microscope with Energy Dispersive Spectrometer. Installation of 41 channel Optical Emission Spectrometer.
Installation of dual view Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometer.
2008 Installation of 200th unit of HPLC. Installation of 100th unit of GC.
Established a Laser Lab at Centre of Excellence Dhaka University.
Elemental Analyzer at BARI installed.
2009 Installed Scanning Election Microscope with EDS at Centre of Excellence Dhaka University.
Installed Ultrafast HPLC.
Installed GC with dynamic headspace.
2010 Installed "NEXERA", the world's fastest HPLC.
Introduced "ANTEC" Electrochemical Detector.
2011 Installed for the first time in the country, software based Linkam Temperature Controlled Microscope System
2012 Installation of one of the world's most sophisticated XRF system, the Shimadzu XRF-1800 at the Department of Glass and Ceramics Engineering, BUET.
2013 Installation of one the world's most sophisticated Scanning Electron Microscope, the Jeol JSM-7600F at the Department of Glass and Ceramics Engineering, BUET.